It contains requirements for the establishment, implementation, maintenance and improvement of energy management systems, with the aim of enabling the organization to follow a systems approach in achieving continuous improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, use and energy consumption.
ISO 50001 is designed to help organizations improve their energy performance through better use of their energy resources. Improved energy performance can quickly deliver benefits to an organization by maximizing its use of energy sources and energy-related resources, reducing costs and consumption. ISO 50001 is applicable to large and small organizations.
The implementation and certification of ISO 50001 standards can bring the following comparative advantages to an organization:
- Improving energy performance including energy efficiency, energy use and consumption
- Reduction of costs achieved by measuring and monitoring EnMS that helps in controlled energy use
- Continuous improvement of the energy management system
- Reduction of environmental impact
- Continuous improvement
- Harmonization of the organization with legal regulations regarding energy efficiency and energy management
- Improving reputation and creating a competitive advantage through public demonstration of social responsibility and energy awareness